Sunday, September 26, 2010

Here's to GARAGE SALES!!!

I know that it is kind of late in the season to talk about GARAGE SALES...but as long as they are still around, I'm SO there!!!

I LOVE GARAGE SALES!!

So this weekend, my sweet boys went with me to a few more...and we got some fun things that I thought I would highlight!!

I am watching Hoarding on TLC as I write this...That show makes me sad, but is distastefully intriguing at the same time and so I have to talk about *stuff* for a minute. I feel very strongly about not letting my love of garage sale-ing, thrift store shopping, crafting, etc. either get out of hand in our home or be an excuse for anyone else to accumulate excessively...

It's easy to find great stuff and great deals...but how to use them!!! Well, here are a few ideas...

First, we went to the best kind of garage sale...Mom's!! :-)) Woohoo, free stuff!! ;-)) I was very restrained and only took home a few things, and this vintage, great-condition suitcase was one. I didn't have a specific plan for it when I took it home, but I had a vague idea that I would use it for storage of some kind...and voila!! I have no formal dining room and no linen storage, so this became the new home for the tablecloths that I occasionally use!!





The interior was in great condition, but still had a little bit of a funky odor, so I put a dryer sheet in the bottom...



And here it is in its new home under the old radio cabinet in my living room...it's not even full, so I could add napkins or out-of-season linens...



I also picked up this great brass magazine holder...that now holds the boy's piano books at the side of the piano...



Finally, I got these sooo cute white glass dishes and the pumpkin sign...I love garage sales for seasonal stuff, as it is usually a really great price [read CHEAP here], and the white dishes worked great for holding little kitchen items that needed to be corralled...



You could also store sweetener packets, toothpicks, spice packets, Kool-aid packets, or tea bags in these. (BTW, there are freshener balls for the garbage disposal in the dish with the lid...that usually goes by the sink!!) And don't even get me started on bathroom items...cotton balls, Q-tips, makeup, hair doodads, nail polish, feminine items, etc, etc, could all be stored in ever-so-organized vintage sweetness!! :-))

And there's more...I'm saving my favorite purchase of the weekend for the next post since it inspired a whole room reorganization!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned, follower!!!!!!!! ;-)))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's to your thoughts!! I love to hear what's on your mind!!!